Saturday, November 2, 2013

ECO ANGEL: Jessica Alba


Jessica Alba The Honest Life


This season's Eco Angel is the sweet and sassy Jessica Alba. This gorgeous California girl rose to fame as the lead actress in the sci-fi series Dark Angel. After making her acting debut at the age of 13 in the movie Camp Nowhere, Jessica was destined for a career in Hollywood. 

She starred as a dancer in Honey, as an invisible woman in Fantastic Four, she played a marine biologist in Good Luck Chuck and diver in the action flick Into The Blue. Jessica has starred in more than 25 films with her most recent role as the voice of Lena in the 2013 animated movie Escape From Planet Earth. 




Jessica quickly became a sex symbol landing herself in the top spot on Maxim's Hot 100 list in 2001. She was also ranked #1 in FHM's Sexiest Girls of 2007.  She also appeared on the cover of hundreds of magazines such as Esquire, GQ, Instyle, Maxim, Cosmopolitan, Elle, Glamour and Marie Claire. 

In 2008 Jessica took a break from acting to start a family. She married movie producer Cash Warren on May 19th 2008. They met in 2004 while Jessica was filming Fantastic Four, Cash was the director's assistant. They welcomed their first baby Honor Marie Warren on June 7th 2008. 




Jessica balanced motherhood with her career. 

Jessica:  "After I had Honor I didn't leave the house for a while. It was all about changing diapers and feedings and still trying to get back into the routine of my [acting] thing. I love what I do. But unless it's worth it, I'm not going to spend time away from my daughter. Before I had her, work was all I had. Now it's not."




After appearing the romantic comedy Valentine's Day in 2010 it was not long before Jessica was pregnant again. Her second daughter was born on August 13th, 2011. 

Jessica:  "Cash and I are so excited to announce the birth of our daughter, Haven Garner Warren. She was born on Saturday, weighed 7lbs and was 19 inches long. Healthy and happy! Big sister Honor couldn't be more excited about the new addition to our family. "


 

Jessica embraces motherhood with so much passion, she is very family focused. 

Jessica: "Before I had kids, I was always focused on my career and it was always such a big thing for me. But once I had kids, it changed. Nothing else really matters to me aside from my children and their well-being."

After becoming a mother, her family's health and safety became very important to her. 

Jessica: "Being a mom is the most profound experience I have ever had. All my priorities in life have completely shifted to my children. I feel this intense responsibility now to provide the safest and most loving and the healthiest environment for my family." 

Being focused on her family, Jessica wanted to use only the best baby care products for her daughters. 

Jessica: "I did some research and learned there are petroleum-based chemicals in a lot of babycare products, even some of the so-called 'earth-friendly' brands. Most parents don't have time to do this research - they need a company with products they can trust. I wanted to create that." 




After learning that some of the baby products she used everyday contained nasty chemicals, Jessica began a three year mission to create a company that offered safe, non toxic baby and cleaning products.

Jessica: "When I realised there was no single source for the non toxic baby and cleaning stuff I needed, I started The Honest Company."

As a busy mother of two and working actress Jessica knew she needed a partner to help run her new company. 

Jessica: "I went to see Christopher Gavigan - he's a leader in environmental health. His book Healthy Child, Healthy World: Creating a Cleaner, Greener, Safer Home, had taught me so much. I asked him if he'd be interested in starting a baby care products company with me. [My husband] Cash thought it was a great idea, too. So Christopher and I set about building the Honest Company. We deliver diapers, wipes, cleaners and toiletries - all free of chemicals right to your door. I wanted it to be easy as possible to get non toxic products. For me, that means online shopping. At our site Honest.com, you can get diapers or wipes if you're a mum, or our shampoo or hand soap if you simply have sensitive skin."  



Jessica co-founded The Honest Company in January 2012 with Christopher Gavigan.

Jessica: "We created the Honest Company because we had too. We had to make it easy for parents to buy safe products for their families." 

This sassy eco mum and advocate for chemical safety measures has written about her honest green living philosophy in her new book The Honest Life. Jessica shares strategies for maintaining a clean diet and embraces non toxic choices at home and provides eco-friendly decor tips to fit any budget. Alba also discusses cultivating a daily eco beauty routine, finding one's personal style without resorting to yoga pants, and engaging in fun, hands-on activities with kids. Her solutions are easy, chic and down-to-earth; they're honest. The Honest Life helps you discover everyday ways to live naturally and authentically true to you. 




At the age of 32 Jessica is a Golden Globe nominated actress, devoted mother of two, committed environmentalist, co-founder of The Honest Company and author. With her passion for the environment, love for her children and kind heart, we think Jessica Alba is an incredible young woman. This eco mum's courageous journey to build The Honest Company is very inspiring and we can't wait to see what the future holds for Jessica. 


Jessica Alba 

Twitter  
 
twitter.com/jessicaalba
Facebook  facebook.com/JessicaAlba
Instagram  instagram.com/jessicaalba

The Honest Company 



This cover story is featured in Eco Glamazine Spring 2013